Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Coffee Quotes

Here are some good quote I have run into, various places. I'm posting these because apparently I have damaged my sciatica exercising and subsequently am almost completely paralyzed on my right side from the hip down. Which means when I do manage to walk, I sound exactly like a larger version of my three-legged cat. Or at least that's what my father says, and apparently it's very amusing, although I don't see the humor in it.
So here I am, bored and in pain, and what better way to make it better than to think on coffee??

Coffee, according to the women of Denmark, is to the body what the Word of the Lord is to the soul. ~Isak Dinesen

Nancy Astor: "If I were your wife, I would put poison in your coffee.
Sir Winston Churchill: "And if I were your husband, I would drink it."
(Possibly the funniest exchange of wit EVER!)

The powers of a man's mind are directly proportioned to the quantity of coffee he drinks.
~Sir James Mackintosh

Schlendrian: You wicked child, you disobedient girl, oh! when will I get my way; give up coffee!Lieschen: Father, don't be so severe! If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat.
Aria
Lieschen: Mm! how sweet the coffee tastes, more delicious than a thousand kisses, mellower than muscatel wine. Coffee, coffee I must have,and if someone wishes to give me a treat, ah, then pour me out some coffee!
~J.S. Bach, "Coffee Cantata"

I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte (Ah, yes--how well I understand him, in my present situation!)

And the next quote, from my dear friend Mark Twain, which fills me with continuous doubt when I think about travelling to Europe (despite the reassurance of others who have been there since the illustrious Mr. Twain):

After a few months' acquaintance with European 'coffee' one's mind weakens, and his faith with it, and he begins to wonder if the rich beverage of home, with it's clotted layer of yellow cream on top of it, is not a mere dream after all, and a thing which never existed. ~ Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment