Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday

So, the Battle of Guilford Courthouse didn't go exactly as we had planned...it was freezing cold and miserable. We were only there about a half hour, and I think most of that time was spent swaddling numerous children of assorted sizes and ages into wool blankets and cloaks. But the short time I was outside was hellish, I wasn't sorry to leave at all--and usually I consider myself something of a trooper.

We were planning on going back tomorrow, when it will be cold but at least not wet; but while in the process of writing the above paragraph the phone rang, saying the event is called off completely! I don't imagine there will be any rescheduling...this is a real bummer because I know it takes a lot of hard work and collaboration between the military park and all the reenactment groups to get these events planned. Also, I was looking forward to seeing my "reenactment family" since there haven't been any events since before the holidays. They're the best of people--all very diverse and unique, and there is always something to be learned from somebody. It's nice being around them.

I had hoped to get some reenacting pictures, but I only got this one of myself. You can't really see the clothes, unfortunately. I hope to write more on that subject later.


I tried to get one of my brother and sister, but they were apart for all of six hours and were being too goofy for me to get a picture on my phone--at least, one that wasn't just an indescribable blur. Right now they're into insisting that they're twins--I don't know if they mean literally or what, but some days they say they were conjoined, so it's hard to tell. (In reality, they're two years apart).
Ahh, here they are...I finally got them to hold still, but Curtiss isn't in costume.









So, we spent the rest of the night doing various things: watching The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again (Don Knotts and Tim Conaway--priceless duo!)

And also decking Josiah out as the karate kid. I'm not exactly sure how this happened, but it was very funny.

Also, my Nana and great-grandmother from Florida are in town, so that's nice. My mom and sisters and I ran over to see them. Of course we'll be spending more time with them this week.
So, now I'm off to hopefully do what my siblings have been nagging me to do for forever twice over: write down a series of stories I've been telling them about some post World War I pilots who fly the mail. Until later...
Kaley

No comments:

Post a Comment