Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

So, I discovered this song a few ago - it was around the holidays, I was watching TV late one night with my Grammy and Taylor Swift was on some news special with Katie Couric. She played this song on the guitar and I sat there, getting all teary eyed and trying to make sure nobody saw, (as Taylor Swift's mother and Katie were both doing as well) because it made me think of my mom so much. She was upstairs getting the baby to sleep and I wanted her to hear it.
However, when it came down to it, I couldn't do it. I knew I would choke up almost immediately, if not before I even pulled the stupid song up on Youtube, and besides, what if she didn't like it? I would die of mortification. But I thought about it all the time!
Then one day mom told me about this great song she heard on some body's blog. . . she wanted to play it for me, and sure enough, it was Taylor Swift's The Best Day. I was like,
"Yep. Huh. Cute song." Or something like that, and left as quickly as possible, because, yes, I was getting choked up.
So, my mom got it off iTunes, it's on her iPod and I hear it all the time, and I think I can honestly say it has not come on once without me getting teary eyed. It's ridiculous. Of course I've felt silly, because it could have been something sort of meaningful if I had been brave enough to suck it up and just play the silly song. . . thank heavens she discovered it on her own.
So here it is, mom. We've heard it a hundred times or more, and it's always meaningful and it always makes me think of you. In my drama and histrionics I often have the audicty to imagine and suggest that you have been a less than perfect parent. (Because you know I'm a parenting expert, hah-hah). But I wanted you to know that I think you're the best mom ever. You're perfect. You're amazing. You do everything and more. I could have written this song myself, for you, it's so true. (Although it wouldn't have sounded as pretty. Or rhymed. Or had corresponding music).
So, here is this song, about you. Every day with you is the best day. You're my best friend and I love being with you. Even things like going to the library, or the post office, or the grocery store, or to a birth at three o'clock in the morning; become rich and exciting, just because I'm with you. I love you more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment