Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Uncle Tom's Cabin


"My view of Christianity is such," he added, "that I think no man can consistently profess it without throwing the whole weight of his being against this monstrous system of injustice that lies at the foundation of all our society; and, if need be, sacrificing himself in the battle. That is, I mean that I could not be a Christian otherwise, though I have certainly had intercourse with a great many enlightened and Christian people who did no such thing; and I confess that the apathy of religious people on this subject, their want of perception of wrongs that filled me with horror, have engendered in me more scepticism than any other thing."
"If you knew all this," said Miss Ophelia, "why didn't you do it?"
"O, because I have had only that kind of benevolence which consists of lying on a sofa, and cursing the church and clergy for not being martyrs and confessors. One can see, you know, very easily, how other ought to be martyrs."
"Well, what are you going to do differently now?" said Miss Ophelia . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment